Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Candlelight My Way to the Future

Another week has passed in the forests of Northern California. Many challenges were put in my way this week: losing a staff member, a friend being fired, being incredibly sick for 2 days and fighting to move past all of these obstacles. I ended the week with a positive attitude and the hope for next session, so something went right...?

I was honored to have the chance to light a candle at the CIT's graduation this week. Walking up to a rock on the piccale of Deer Lake (Toyiabe Rock) while following the eerie light of cans of candles on the path I was grounded by the memories upon memories. The CIT that chose me for her candle-lighter truly looked up to me as a leader and as a person. Wow, what a privilege to be such a role model. This is my second time as a candle-lighter in my 4 years here at CDL. The last time I lit a CIT named Scout's  candle. This year I lit Thistle's candle.

After many tears and as many laughs, the group left the rock and headed to the dining hall where the after-party began. Memories washed over me of the times with Scout at her ceremony. Then it hit me, she's gone now. I held back a bay of tears and pushed them away to be able to celebrate the moment and not the past. I was there for Thistle, not Scout.




Next week brings more girls into my life, more challenges (ACA) and more good, fun positive times. Here I come session 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment